Project 3: Pet Fish

Modern Companion for Any Hectic Lifestyle

Design Statement:

For Project 3 three we created a no hassle pet fish for people who are too busy for a real pet. Our fish can act as a companion without having to worry about feeding or taking care of it. In addition it’s tail moves when you wind it up. Although we were inspired by kid’s wind up toys and how they are designed to allow for movement of various parts, we wanted to design a pet fish for adults as well. The aesthetic design of our fish is more modern and simplistic, with an angular tail and body. Once we decided to mimic a wind up toy, we took apart a wind up dolphin whose movement closely resembled the movement of a fish’s tail. We modeled some of the parts that allowed the dolphin’s tail to move but we changed how the motor fits inside the body of our fish and the overall appearance of our fish. We also added another segment to our fish’s tail to increase the range of movement it has. This way it more closely resembles the movement of a fish. Our toy pet fish accomplishes the task of combining the childlike concept of wind up toys and a modernist aesthetic for everyone to enjoy.

The Process:

When designing for Project 3, it was difficult to incorporate parts that already existed into our design. A lot of times we would design the tail or body but then have to adjust dimensions so that the wind up motor could fit inside. We also wanted to be conscious of the overall size, since we didn’t want to unnecessarily add to our 3D print time. In order to create the angular body and tail of the fish we started with 3D primitives and cut chunks out or altered the position of control points. For joining mechanisms we used a combination of pieces that snap in and slide together. We also thought that it would be beneficial to create holes for small screws that would help secure the two sides of the fish together. When we finally went to print, our first print had problems adhering to the print bed. As a result, some of the dimensions were off and there was warping in some of the parts. In the end, we needed to reprint a majority of our parts.

The final print of the fish was a lot more successful than our initial attempts since we were able to assemble it with the motor inside. After assembling it we realized that the wind up motor wasn’t powerful enough to move the second part of the tail, since the plastic is too heavy; however, the motor can move the base of the tail a little bit. Moving forward we would have to redesign the tail to make it as light as possible so that the wind up motor can move it easily.

Project 3: Pet Fish from kshioshita on Vimeo.

Presentation

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s